Miami-Dade County Expeditions
Great Discoveries on the Bay - A Kayak Journey
Push off from the shoreline into a world of exquisite beauty. Our kayak journey takes us along the coastline of what the first adventurers called the “Chequescha Bay.” The richness born of the confluence of fresh and salt waters in what is today called Biscayne Bay drew many peoples to this place - from the Tequesta Indians, Spanish explorers, privateers and pirates to modern day pioneers. Reflect on how ancient peoples used the area’s resources for their livelihood and how perspectives of the settlers have changed over time. Hear the story of how a magnificent Italian villa came to life on the bay and view it in a way few others can.
As you paddle past mangroves teeming with life as well as historic and modern mansions, you will see what dramatic changes the shoreline has experienced. You will encounter breathtaking views of the open bay and learn of the close connection between the waters lapping at your kayak’s hull and the struggle for Cuban freedom. Learn why the preservation of these shallow waters is so important to wildlife and humans.
You will explore the ecology and history of this unique bay the same way most humans have witnessed it over thousands of years. As the locals say, “We all came by water.”
INCLUSIONS AND DETAILS:
• All equipmentrental, entrance fees and taxes.
• Tour interpretation by guide starts and ends at the hotel.
• Guide to guest ratio does not exceed 1:9. Our guides are certified and trained and will give basic kayak instructions prior to getting in the water.
• Two bottled waters provided per participant.
• Private naturalist guided kayak portion travels along a scenic route with views of Biscayne Bay and historic Villa Vizcaya.
• Depending on tides, this tour stops on a shallow sandbar to explore marine life.
• Guides carry sunscreen, first aid kits and emergency equipment.
• Guests will be paired up on comfortable, stable sit-upon tandem kayaks.
• Personal flotation devices are provided.
• Guests will be paired up on tandem kayaks.
• The kayak trip takes about 3 hours. The intensity is partially determined by weather conditions (tides/wind).
• Participants are required to be able to complete this duration and length, because there is no way to shorten or to drop out during the tour.
• Guests must bring a change of clothes and a towel; clothes that can get wet and dirty and are comfortable while kayaking are recommended.
• Bottledwater will be supplied.
• Minimum of 4 weeks notice for tours on Wednesdays and Thursdays or on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
- In one group: 32px
- 3 hours fromstart to end of kayak tour(not including transfer from hotel to kayaklaunch).
- Morning or afternoon
- None (meals can be added for an additional cost).
- Transportation to and from kayak rental on Rickenbacker Causeway to be provided by client or by Dragonfly Expeditions at additional cost.
- Special notations:
Do you have any tours available for this Saturday? or Sunday? Thank you!