Miami-Dade County Expeditions
Key Biscayne -A Journey by Cycle
This 10-mile bicycle jaunt takes us across the charming island of Key Biscayne, a place so hospitable that it was sought out by the Tequesta Indians who first inhabited South Florida. Hear the story of how the growing number of wrecks brought to this place a remote lighthouse outpost that to this day remains Miami-Dade County’s oldest structure. Reflect on the experiences of early coconut palm plantation settlers who braved hostile Seminoles and hurricanes.
As you pedal through the lush flora you see how the devastating force of Hurricane Andrew created a unique opportunity for the restoration of the original ecosystem. Interspersed with the island’s abundant tropical vegetation, you experience breathtaking views of the watery off-shore community of Stiltsville and white sand beaches facing the open ocean.
After passing through the village of Key Biscayne, we explore the unusual oddity of an antiquated and abandoned zoo that echoes of visitations past. Watch out for the new tenants: a large variety of waterfowl and iguanas in every imaginable size and color combination. Enjoy the pleasures of a slower pace almost as if you were transported back in time to a less hectic era.
INCLUSIONS AND DETAILS:
• All entrance fees, equipment rental fees and taxes.
• Tour interpretation by guide starts and ends at the hotel (there is a guide on the transfer vehicle to the bike rental location and back to the hotel).
• Guide to guest ratio does not exceed 1:9. There are always 2 Dragonfly Expeditions staff members during the bike tour –one to lead the group and one to follow behind.
• Participants travel on comfortable cruiser bicycles. These bikes are exclusively used for our tours.
• If a bicycle breaks down during the tour, the backup staff stays behind with the broken bike which allows the guests to continue with the main guide.
• Our guides are certified and trained.
• Two bottled waters provided per participant.
• Bike baskets and helmets are available upon request.
• Private 3 - hour historian/naturalist guided bike tour covers everything guests expect to see in Florida (protected natural areas, an upscale and bike - friendly neighborhood, pristine beaches, historic landmarks, etc).
• Guides carry sunscreen and first aid kits.
• The biking portion is 3 hours (10 miles); participants are required to be able to complete this duration and length because there is no way to shorten or to drop out during the tour.
• Bottled water will be supplied.
• No flip-flops allowed!
• Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyh8t0vCsyQ&feature=grec_index
- n one group: 19px | Simultaneously: 45px (3 groups of up to 15px)
- 3 hours from start to end of bike tour (not including transfer from hotel).
- Morning or afternoon
- None (meals can be added for an additional cost).
- Bike rental included in price; transportation to and from bike rental on Key Biscayne tobe provided by client or by Dragonfly Expeditions at additional cost.
- Special notations:
Hello , I’m a member through WLRN Radio . I would like to contact your office for information on this cycle tour .