Miami-Dade County Expeditions
Wandering through Wynwood – An Artistic Revival
The Wynwood Art District is continuing to evolve into one of world’s most innovative neighborhoods drawing international attention to Miami. But not so long ago, this now-bustling district was a downtrodden collection of industrial warehouses. Art became the catalyst for an astonishing transformation that still continues today. When artists started to expand their works from inside their low-rent studios to the outside walls it lead to large-scale, attention-grabbing and sometimes provocative images straddling the line between fine art and graffiti. This now ever-present, evolved ‘Graffiti Art’ is Wynwood’s signature to the planet.
On our tour we explore both exterior and interior spaces as we stroll along streets alive with stunning visual mosaics in every style and hue, all the while uncovering Wynwood’s dynamic story.
We then move on to get an insider’s view of one of the larger galleries where a host introduces you to the work and answers your questions. Our final stop explores one of the most recent developments -the emergence of a new generation of urban businesses -marking Wynwood’s transition to a neighborhood that is more than just a center for art appreciation: We venture behind the scenes to learn the intricacies of hand-crafted local rum and round out the tour with a tasting of this award-winning spirit.
INCLUSIONS AND DETAILS:
• All entrance fees and taxes.
• Tour interpretation by guide starts and ends at the hotel.
• Guide to guest ratio does not exceed 1:15. One personal tour guide and one navigator/advancing staff.
• Our guides are certified and trained.
• 40-minute walking portion includes variety of streets and avenues as well as the Wynwood Walls.
• Gallery to be visited at the time of the tour is selected on the basis of most compelling current exhibit.
• Visit to a local rum distillery with tasting for all participants.
• Due to opening restrictions, do not schedule departure time before 10:00 am.
• Tour consists of a 40-minute walking portion, a gallery visit and a visit to a rum distillery.
- In one group: 30px | Simultaneously: 90px (3 groups of 30px)
- Approx. duration:
- 3 hours (including transfer times from and to South Beach)Due to opening restrictions, do not schedule departure time before 10:00 am.
- Time of day:
- Morning or afternoon
- Meals included:
- None (meals can be added for an additional cost).
- To be provided by client or by Dragonfly Expeditions at additional cost.
- Special notations: