Miami-Dade County Expeditions
Incredible Women of Miami
Delight in the narrative of a little-known but curiously intriguing fact: Miami is the only major American city founded by women. Hear about these inspired visionaries and their stories of adventure, hardship and triumph in the Florida wilderness that is now Coconut Grove, Miami, Miami Beach and Coral Gables.
Retrace the steps of the "Mothers of Miami" Julia Tuttle and Mary Brickell. These inspired women battled a challenging and sometimes lonely existence at the breathtaking confluence of the Miami River and Biscayne Bay. They decided to single-handedly change the history of the whole region by insistently luring the lifeline of Henry Flagler’s railroad to South Florida.
Experience the hidden and charming places where determined women endeavored to bring culture and education to America’s last frontier.
Explore the life of aviation-pioneer Amelia Earhart and learn of the foresight of environmentalist and Everglades advocate Marjory Stoneman Douglas. Find out how now-gleaming South Beach was saved from being ripped down by the voice and dramatic actions of preservationist Barbara Capitman.
Miami is a place that historically represents the power, vision and drive of women more than anywhere else on the planet. This fact makes this tour a popular, not-to-be-missed and original platform through which to explore the wonders of the “Magic City.”
INCLUSIONS AND DETAILS:
• All entrance fees and taxes.
• 15% of the gross profits of this tour go directly to support a local preservation organization.
• Tour interpretation by guide starts and ends at the hotel.
• Guide to guest ratio does not exceed 1:17. There are always 2 staff members on the vehicle – one to give the driver directions and one to provide the interpretation without distraction.
• Our guides are certified and trained.
• This tour is a combination of driving and walking. Guests get off the bus at a number of landmarks in several distinct Miami neighborhoods.
• The tour is a great alternative to a “standard” city tour because it explores the same historic neighborhoods from a new perspective.
• Coveted cake recipe reprint from one of the founding mothers for each participant.
• 15% of the gross profits of this tour go directly to support a local preservation organization