Miami-Dade County Expeditions
Tropical Deco in a Fabled Playground
Experience an Art Deco tour that captures the glitz and glamour of the roaring twenties and thirties in our nation’s only Art Deco Historic District. This is your chance to immerse yourself in the thrill of a city that defiantly danced until dawn through Prohibition, the depression, major hurricanes and two World Wars. Here the playboy and flapper lifestyle was the only way to live, and as the warm breezes tempted you to free yourself of the confines of more formal clothes, the incoming tide would hint of the clandestine import that you’d be sipping at a swinging speakeasy late into the night.
Recall the larger-than-life personalities and world-famous events that reshaped society, architecture, and even the island itself. Walk the halls of the first hotel ever built on Miami Beach and delight in the imaginative and playful Art Deco lifeguard stands lining the beach like pastel-colored toy soldiers. Chart the evolution of architectural styles while unique and evocative Art Deco landmarks serve as our signposts to an era that looked forward to the future and celebrated progress, innovation, adventure and freedom.
As your guide uncovers the eye-popping history of this unique destination, you will understand why millionaires, movie stars, thousands of soldier sand countless others have fallen under the magical spell of Miami Beach.
INCLUSIONS & DETAILS:
• All fees and taxes.
• Tour interpretation by guide starts and ends at the hotel.Guide to guest ratio does not exceed 1:15.
• There are always 2 Dragonfly Expeditions staff members –one to give the driver directions and one to provide the interpretation without distraction.
• Our guides are certified and trained. Private 2-hour historian-guided walking and bus tour.
• Tour route covers a variety of landmarks and hidden corners of South Beach (not just Ocean Drive).
• Tour interpretation does not focus solely on architectural aspects, but rather on a combination of the stories of the people, the history and the changes that happened in South Beach overtime.